Skip to main content

The Helen Hay Whitney Foundation


Last profile update: 12/18/2016
Last grant data update: 01/29/2018

At A Glance

The Helen Hay Whitney Foundation

20 Squadron Blvd., Ste. 630

New City, NY United States 10956-5247

Telephone: (845) 639-6799


Type of Grantmaker

Independent foundation






Charitable trust established in 1943; established as a private foundation in 1947; incorporated in 1951 in NY - The founder and sole donor, Mrs. Charles S. Payson, the former Joan Whitney, named the foundation in honor of her mother, Helen Hay Whitney, and dedicated it to the support of medical research, with an initial focus on rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease. The foundation later expanded its interests to include disease of connective tissue and has also come to consider training in the relevant basic biomedical sciences as equally essential to the ultimate goal of increasing the number of imaginative and dedicated medical scientists. The foundation's funds are now totally committed to the post-doctoral Biomedical Research Fellowship Program which provides a stipend and allowance for beginning research training. This program is the responsibility of the scientific advisory committee and is under continual review and evaluation. Mrs. Payson served as president of the foundation until her death in 1975

Purpose and Activities

Giving to support beginning postdoctoral training in basic biomedical research through research fellowships for residents of the United States who are planning to work in laboratories either in the U.S., Canada, or abroad, and also to foreign citizens for research in laboratories in the U.S. only. Fellowships are awarded to individuals but funds are administered largely by research institutions. American citizenship is not required, but foreign nationals are expected to pursue their research in the U.S.