Public Welfare Foundation, Inc.
1200 U St. N.W.
Washington, DC United States 20009-4443
Telephone: (202) 965-1800
Type of Grantmaker
Incorporated in 1947 in TX; reincorporated in 1951 in DE - Mr. Marsh was an Ohio native who owned a newspaper group, General Newspapers, Inc., and was active in other fields such as banking, oil, gas, and real estate. He donated three newspapers to the foundation, from which it received income for its charitable purposes. The papers, The Spartanburg (SC) Herald & Journal, The Tuscaloosa (AL) News, and the Gadsden (AL) Times, were sold in 1985. The concept of the foundation developed by Mr. Marsh, who died in 1964, and perpetuated by its board of trustees, is broad and remains committed to supporting organizations that help people overcome barriers to full participation in society. The grantmaker is a signatory to Philanthropy’s Promise, an initiative of the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy (NCRP). By signing on, the grantmaker has committed to allocating the majority of its grantmaking dollars to marginalized communities and at least 25 percent to social justice strategies, such as advocacy, community organizing, and civic engagement