The Overbrook Foundation
60 E. 42nd St., Ste. 565
New York City, NY United States 10165
Telephone: (212) 661-8710
Type of Grantmaker
Incorporated in 1948 in NY - The Overbrook Foundation was established in New York in 1948 by Helen and Frank Altschul. The foundation took its name from Overbrook Farm, the Altschul family home in Stamford, Connecticut. The foundation is currently led by a staff of seven and governed by a Board of 13 Directors. Of these, most are third and fourth generation family members. Currently the foundation has an endowment of approximately $130 million and awarded $6.1 million in grants during 2011. Since its inception, the foundation has awarded more than $160 million in grants. The foundation is a signatory to Philanthropy’s Promise, an initiative of the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy (NCRP). By signing on, the grantmaker has committed to allocating the majority of its grantmaking dollars to marginalized communities and at least 25 percent to social justice strategies, such as advocacy, community organizing, and civic engagement.