The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
140 E. 62nd St.
New York City, NY United States 10065-8124
Telephone: (212) 838-8400
Type of Grantmaker
- Celebrity: Business
Trust established in 1940 in DE as Avalon Foundation; incorporated in 1954 in NY; merged with Old Dominion Foundation and renamed The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation in 1969 - Founded in the name of the late Andrew W. Mellon (1855-1937) by his children. His daughter Ailsa Mellon Bruce established the Avalon Foundation in 1940 and his son Paul Mellon established The Old Dominion Foundation in 1941. The two foundations consolidated, resulting in The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Mellon was a banking magnate who financed several industrial companies including Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA) and Carborundum Company. He served as Secretary of the United States Treasury from 1921 through 1932. During his life, Mellon gave away nearly $10 million. Much of it went to educational and charitable institutions in his native Pittsburgh, but his most famous gift was the money and the pictures that were used to establish the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC