At A Glance
517 E. 5th St.
Chattanooga, TN United States 37403-1826
Telephone: (423) 756-0767
Type of Grantmaker
Incorporated in 1938 in DE - The Lyndhurst Foundation had its beginnings in the broad local and regional philanthropic activities of Thomas Cartter Lupton, a pioneer in the Coca-Cola bottling business. First organized in 1938 as the Memorial Welfare Foundation these activities continued and expanded after Mr. Lupton's death in 1977, when the foundation changed its name to Lyndhurst, a reference to the family home in Chattanooga. At that time the foundation leadership passed into the hands of Mr. Lupton's son, John T. Lupton, and Lyndhurst began to focus its attention upon primary health care, elementary and secondary education, and art and cultural activities In the mid-1980s the foundation redirected its energies almost entirely toward Chattanooga's effort to revitalize its downtown and riverfront, to enhance its arts and cultural life, and to improve its schools and its natural environment. In 1992, with the retirement of Mr. Lupton from the board of the foundation and the election of his children and his nephews as trustees, Lyndhurst once again set new priorities, centered around the enhancement and enrichment of the social, natural, and built environment of Chattanooga and the surrounding region The foundation announced its first major organizational change since its founding more than 70 years ago, spinning $50 million of its assets in order to leverage the creation of five new foundations, representing the five branches within the third generation of the descendants of Cartter Lupton who are active in the foundation’s governance. The intention of the Lyndhurst trustees is to match $50 million of new philanthropic assets being gifted by family members, thereby creating five new foundations with combined assets of $100 million. The year 2012 marked the first major organizational change for Lyndhurst since its founding, with the spin-off of five new smaller family foundations, and with the resulting legacy of a smaller parent foundation governed by ten new local trustees with a continued focus upon Chattanooga and the proximate region.