The Fund for New Jersey
1 Palmer Sq., Ste. 303
Princeton, NJ United States 08542-3718
Telephone: (609) 356-0421
Type of Grantmaker
Incorporated in 1969 in NJ as successor to The Florence Murray Wallace Fund established in 1958 - Founded by the late Charles F. Wallace and Martin F. Tiernan. Charles F. Wallace was the inventor of an automatic chlorinating device used by municipal utilities to purify water. Along with his friend and business partner Martin F. Tiernan, he founded Wallace & Tiernan Company in 1911. They broke new ground in 1913 by developing a machine that would automatically pipe chlorine gas into a Boonton, New Jersey stream that was polluting the Jersey City water supply.