25 Halcyon Rd.
Millbrook, NY United States 12545-6137
Telephone: (845) 677-0644
Type of Grantmaker
Established in 1956 in DE, US; The Dyson Foundation was started by Charles H. (1909-1997) and Margaret M. Dyson (1914-1990) to serve as a vehicle for family giving. The foundation was formed in 1956 and incorporated in 1957. In its earliest years, the foundation gave modestly to a wide variety of organizations and causes, with an emphasis on college scholarships to young people. In the late 1960s the foundation changed its focus to more general purpose funding. In 1979, Dr. Anne E. Dyson, the Dyson's only daughter, replaced her father as Pres. of the foundation, and brought her own interests as a pediatrician to the foundation's agenda, and it began making more grants in medicine and child health. After Anne's untimely death in 2000, Rob Dyson became Chairman and continues in that role. By the end of 2015, the foundation's assets stood at $214 million, and, since its inception, it has awarded more than $335 million in grants to support the missions of organizations large and small, national and local. The foundation's current grantmaking includes a significant grant program in the Mid-Hudson Valley of New York state that seeks to improve the quality of life in the region, provide support for economically disadvantaged individuals and families, and strengthen the nonprofit sector. The foundation also supports a number of organizations and causes that are tied to Dyson family interests. In addition to its core work of grantmaking, the foundation also initiates major projects that benefit the region as a whole, and sponsors critical research that examines issues that impact the Hudson Valley.