Skip to main content

Connelly Foundation

Profile

Last profile update: 04/11/2017
Last grant data update: 03/18/2017

At A Glance

Connelly Foundation

100 Front St., 1 Tower Bridge, Ste. 1450

West Conshohocken, PA United States 19428-2873

Telephone: (610) 834-3222

URL: www.connellyfdn.org

Type of Grantmaker

Independent foundation

Additional Descriptor

EIN

236296825

BRIDGE Number

6556073164

Background

Incorporated in 1955 in PA - In 1955 John and Josephine Connelly chose to share their good fortune by establishing the Connelly Foundation with the simple but clear purpose of providing charitable grants to institutions in Philadelphia and the surrounding Delaware Valley. Born in a working class neighborhood in North Philadelphia in 1905, John Connelly received little formal schooling before entering the business world. After working for many years in the packaging industry, John Connelly founded Connelly Containers, Inc., a cardboard box company located in Bala Cynwyd, PA. In 1956 he joined the board of directors of Crown Cork & Seal Company, Inc., an international manufacturer of cans, crowns and machinery. Elected Chairman and C.E.O. the following year, he played a pivotal role in transforming the struggling company into an industry leader with operations in forty-two countries. John Connelly passed away in 1990. Josephine Connelly succeeded her husband in 1990 as chairman of the foundation until her death in 1999

Purpose and Activities

The foundation seeks to foster learning and to improve the quality of life in the Greater Philadelphia area. The foundation supports local non-profit organizations in the fields of education, health and human services, arts and culture, and civic enterprise.