Compton Foundation, Inc.
101 Montgomery St., Ste. 850
San Francisco, CA United States 94104-4126
Telephone: (415) 391-9001
Type of Grantmaker
Incorporated in 1972 in NY as successor to the Compton Trust; reincorporated in 1992 in CA - The foundation's history began with the vision of Dorothy and Randolph Compton, a vision which they later passed on to their children. John Parker, the youngest, left Princeton University after his freshman year to train with the 10th Mountain Division and fought in the Italian Alps in World War II. Near the small village of Iola in the mountains north of Florence, a sniper's bullet ended his promising young life. The untimely death of John Parker, the tragic loss of so many young people, and the impact of the war on the whole world moved Dorothy and Randolph to establish a charitable trust in 1946. The trust was converted to a foundation in 1972. The grantmaker is a signatory to Philanthropy’s Promise, an initiative of the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy (NCRP). By signing on, the grantmaker has committed to allocating the majority of its grantmaking dollars to marginalized communities and at least 25 percent to social justice strategies, such as advocacy, community organizing, and civic engagement