The purpose of the organization is to investigate, promote and advance high standards of clinical practice, research and education in palliative care, in particular by
1) Advancing standards of high quality care for patients with progressive illness and their families, wherever the person is cared for;
2) Conducting, supporting, funding and commissioning world-class research in effective, person-centred and spiritually sympathetic forms of palliative care, in particular, perfecting relevant and robust methods to set an international gold standard of palliative care research
3) Investigating and promoting high quality care for patients with cancer and non-cancer progressive illness and from sections of society which miss out on the best in palliative care;
4) Providing post-graduate and undergraduate education for doctors, nurses and other professionals in the field;and
5) Promoting public understanding of palliative care and the available treatments and services and influencing practice nationally and internationally on care towards the end of life.